Thursday, February 14, 2013

Tales from the trainer

Last weekend I spent 6 hours and 45 minutes training indoors. As the snowflakes swirled on the streets, I took to the trainer and treadmill. Living in the northeast this is commonplace; I amass hundreds of indoor training hours each year. While the potential for monotony and boredom loom over each training session, I am all too aware that these workouts are critical to an my success later in the season. The winter is not something athletes simply need to survive so they can work through the rest of the year. Rather, it is a time that dictates the direction of the entire racing season. The work done through the spring and summer is meaningless if it lacks a proper foundation, a structure which must be constructed when the weather often drives us inside.

When I entered the sport of triathlon a number of years ago I failed to recognize the importance of the winter season. I worked hard, but failed to make the most of my time and effort. My training lacked focus and consistency. While I trained multiple times daily, I was unable to retain the high level of performance on a day-to-day basis that would allow me to realize my potential later in the year. My easy days were either too easy or too hard. My hard days, similarly, were either too easy or misplaced in my program. Consequently, I emerged from he winter unprepared for the spring and summer workload necessary for optimum performance. I also faced nagging injuries for a number of years and have no doubt that my winter training directly impacted the pains I felt later in the year. It wasn't until I began working with Stephen that I began to make the most of my indoor training. Rather than seeing it as a hinderance brought on by living in New England, I have come to view my winter workouts as key sessions equally (if not more) important than the work completed in the summer. My performance in these training sessions has, in fact, become a feature in my yearly goals.

Below are a few tips and observations that have helped me focus my training and sharpen my abilities come race day.

1. Minimize distractions (read: smartphones) - In the past I have kept my cellphone within reach while on the trainer. With easy access to email, texts, facebook, twitter, and everything else available on an iPhone, I was easily distracted. Surely this helped pass the time, especially on long rides, but I was doing myself a tremendous disservice. Smartphones can make your life incredibly productive, but they can destroy the effectiveness of your training if you attempt to multitask. Work, your social life, and training are all things that need to remain separate in order to train properly. This year, my cell phone has been banned from the basement during workouts. I am no longer tempted to browse through apps and emails to pass the time. The only exception to my self-imposed rule occurs when Eileen is on the road and might need to call in the event of an emergency. In that situation, I will bring my phone but place it out of reach so it is not a temptation. The result of this tech ban has been phenomenal. The distractions are now minimal and my level of productivity in training has sky rocketed.

2. Write everything down - Whatever your workout happens to be for the day, write them down in a place you can see them from your trainer or treadmill. I have a white board in my basement where I write every single workout before beginning. I feel I am more accountable if I have a constant reminder of what the workout entails. Having the details visible rather than memorized keeps me on task and prevents me from going overboard or taking things too easy. Whether the board says 2.5 hours easy/moderate or has a list of 15 intervals of various lengths and intensities, every detail of my workout is listed in order to avoid any deviation from the plan.

3. Imagine - Visualize yourself competing. When I am doing hard intervals on the trainer or treadmill I imagine myself racing. I picture the race courses I know I will cover in the coming season. I can visualize the individuals I know I will see throughout the season and create race scenarios in which we battle for position. These fabrications not only help pass the time, but they also keep me motivated throughout each set.


This list is not all-encompassing. It does, however, provide a starting place for becoming more focused throughout the winter. If you have any questions about my indoor training habits, please ask in the comments section and I will do my best to provide answers.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your winter training. It inspired me this morning and I just got of the trainer after a 45" with 2x30's and man do I feel good. On the trainer I was visualizing my competition and going up Emery Bridge rd. I'm kicking myself in the butt now since I haven't done much training at all this winter. But I am getting back into it and your post really helped. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. Good luck getting back into training!

      Delete