Friday, December 14, 2012

Goggle Review: Nootca Elevens

Swimmers live in a world of repetition. Watch any swimmer during any meet or practice and you'll find that they habitually do the same thing over and over. We construct complex pre-race goggle adjustment routines, craft intricate methods of entering the water for practice, and so on. Anyone willing to confine themselves in a lane and stare at a black line for hours as they cruise back and forth naturally seeks out things that work and sticks with them. This is especially true when it comes to our equipment - mainly our googles. As swimmers, we often settle. While we are faced with a wide array of goggle options, we seem to find a mediocre pair and stick with them for years for no reason other than that they are convenient and we know they are "good enough".

I, perhaps more so than others, am guilty of this. From my junior year in high school through the age of 26 I would only swim in Speedo Vanquishers with smoke lenses. They never leaked, the anti-fog coating was sufficient, and they were easily accessible. I swore by them and recommended them to everyone who inquired about new goggles. Yet, at the same time, I never found them comfortable. They applied too much pressure and the straps were awful. I ended up ordering more bungee straps than I care to admit and used them to replace the stock Speedo straps in an attempt to improve the functionality and performance of the goggles. All the while, I was convinced that the Vanquisher was as comfortable and functional as a goggle could get. I assumed that goggles were just meant to be uncomfortable and clunky. That was, until I learned of Nootcas.



This past summer, I connected with Steven, the man behind the Nootca brand. After 10 years I had decided that I needed to seek out a better product than the one I'd been subjecting myself too for so long. I was curious about the new brand on the market that I'd heard a few good things about. Speedos and TYR googles are ubiquitous, but I needed to try something more unique and functional. I wanted to be able to talk to the company and provide meaningful feedback on the product. In Nootca, that is exactly what I found.

Throughout the summer I swam in the 207s, which I enjoyed. They are a solid goggle and much more comfortable than anything I'd been in before. While I found them a bit on the large size for my liking and face shape I would still recommend the goggle to anyone. After about two months, though, I tried a second model from Nootca, the Eleven. My first impression after removing them from the box was that they were the perfect shape and profile. I was convinced that I would love the goggles, but originally I experienced gasket issues which lead to significant leaking. I was disappointed and assumed that the shape of my face just wasn't a match for the Elevens. Before giving up, though, I was hopeful that Steven might have a solution for me. Fortunately, he did in the form of a new pair of Elevens with an improved gasket. Simply put, the Eleven is a perfect goggle and is the only one I wear.



The Eleven has a low profile and fits perfectly around the eye socket. The design eliminates all of the painful pressure points found in other goggles. The gaskets are softer than the ones found on goggles like the Vanquisher and the result is a unmatched level of comfort. The goggles do not leave marks and, more importantly, don't leave you with a headache from the pressure around the eyes like many others. The goggles fit so well that you will not even notice they're on your face. This point was made clear when I accidentally left my Elevens at home a few weeks ago and was forced back into my Vanquishers. The level of discomfort and agitation I experienced was immense. Since then, the Vanquishers have been permanently removed from my swim bag and I now double check to make sure my Elevens are packed before leaving the house.

The Eleven, like all the Nootca goggles, also comes with an incredibly functional strap. An easily overlooked detail on googles, the strap is a crucial component in a comfortable and hassle-free goggle. Not only are Nootca's straps well-built and durable, but they also come with a brilliantly designed clasp. Rather than allowing the loose ends of the straps to stick out to the side of the head like most goggles, Nootca's clasp makes the strap ends run down the back of the head toward the spine. The strap is so comfortable that it's unnoticeable during a swim. This, combined with the comfort, shape, and style of the lenses and gaskets, give the Elevens an unbeatable fit.

The functionality of the Nootca Elevens matches the fit and comfort. The lenses on the Elevens (as well as the 207s) are phenomenal. I have used the brown and green tinted lenses and loved both. The darker lenses are perfect for bright outdoor conditions. The green lenses are a bit more versatile and can be worn in a wide range of environments. I currently wear them without issue in a dimly lit pool, but would have no issues wearing them outside under a cloudless sky. While I have not had the opportunity to use the clear lenses, my experiences lead me to believe that they would be tremendous in indoor environments or low-light outdoor situations.

Finally, the Elevens look good. They are a stylish goggle that looks and feels fast. They draw attention at the pool from swimmers and guards. I regularly field questions from curious athletes of all ability levels regarding the goggles. Put on a pair of Elevens and you'll look and feel the part of a swimmer.

The only thing I would change about the Elevens is the anti-fog capabilities straight out of the box. Admittedly, they are lacking and have caused me a bit of concern when thinking about open water races. However, I have found that rubbing a drop of baby shampoo around the lens and then rinsing briefly just before getting in the water works wonders. I can easily get through an entire workout in the pool without having to clear the fog from the goggles.

If you haven't given Nootca a try, do your eyes a favor and test them out. I personally prefer the Elevens, but the quality of all of the models is outstanding. Nootca is doing amazing things in the goggle industry and we, as swimmers, will benefit greatly from their work. They've already raised the bar for the competition and I'm certain they will continue to tweak and improve upon their already incredible designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment