Thursday, July 18, 2013

I, Kyle, take you Eileen...

While this is primarily a racing blog, I've decided to clear some space for something of actual importance. So here it is, as promised, a retelling of our wedding day. With picture. Lots of pictures.

Eileen and I started dating a little more than nine years ago. Hours after our graduation from Wells High School, aboard a Project Graduation bus back from Boston in the middle of the night on June 13, 2004, I mustered up the courage to make things official. After a little bit of clarification on her response (seriously, this is one of those times to be very clear. It's not a place for a quiet "uh huh" on a bus full of loud graduates!), we became boyfriend and girlfriend. Nine years ago we began a relationship that was nine years in the making.

Since that day we've been through a great deal together. We went away to college (I cried more tears that night than I have in the rest of my life combined). We spent three months apart. We were reunited for a month only to be separated for another semester. I transferred and together and we survived the transition. We got engaged on September 7, 2007, just two days before the first-ever Pumpkinman. Little did we know then how large a role the race and its founder would play in our lives. Graduation came in 2008, as did lengthy job searches. Eileen began working at Eliot Elementary while I had a full time gig reading rejection letters from every employer in the nation. Eventually I landed on my feet and began coaching swimming at Kennebunk High School. The job transitioned into a more permanent position in the town's elementary school. On January 1, 2009 we moved into our first apartment together. Six moves followed that first one as we bounced around from one seasonal rental to the next for three years. During all of this Eileen survived the ups and downs of my racing career. She saw me win, saw me fail, continued to talk to me after my very moody car rides home, and nursed me back to health for weeks after a devastating accident. I'll spare you the pictures from that last part...

By December of 2011 our dreams came true and we purchased and moved into our first home. To lay out everything we went through to buy the house, not to mention the endless misadventures during that first year of homeownership, would take weeks. But together we made it. And in September of 2012, five full years after becoming an engaged couple, we decided it was time to make things official! But first, we brought a puppy into the family! House bought, jobs secure, puppy in place - it was time to get married! 

Nala (who has quadrupled in size since) joined our family in January 2013!
I don't know that another couple has ever had an easier time planning a wedding than Eileen and I. Naturally, I credit this to my impeccable ability to know when to just agree with her decisions. We were in agreement that we wanted to get married in our new home town of South Berwick at The Red Barn at Outlook Farm. We picked colors (I say we, but being color blind did not give me much credibility here. But remember, I got pretty good at saying, "yes".), a DJ, centerpieces, flowers (again, we is a bit misleading here), invitations, and so on. Everything came together flawlessly. There was no arguing, there was no bridezilla (or groomzilla), and we were able to match every detail of the day with our personalities. 

This is why we wanted the wedding at the Red Barn/Outlook

And this...
Eventually, after all the planning for the reception, we realized someone had to perform the ceremony. Looking back, I wish I'd taken a screenshot of the text conversation with Kat where she and I - with Eileen's backing - decided Jeff would do the honors. It all started out as a joke as Jeff had a) never performed a wedding, and b) was - at the time - not eligible to. But the more Eileen and I thought about it the more it made perfect sense. The Donatello's have become a second family to us. Next to Eileen, I speak to Kat more than anyone else in the world. As a matter of fact, I have both talked to her on the phone and texted her while writing this piece! Their daughters, Lydie and Mia, have become my surrogate sisters and rather than hire a stranger, it was important to Eileen and I to involve those close to us in the ceremony. So Jeff went to work (and, inexplicably, at one point a Rite Aid...........) to become a Notary Public. And then I followed up and checked the state database to make sure he really had passed the exam...!

Fast forward like 6 months and skip over a bunch of times we wrote checks...

With one week to go before our big day, I didn't feel right. Not that, "I have cold feet and am probably going to be a runaway groom" sort of feeling, but ill. At first it was simply a cough and I attributed it to training. Three days later (and two nights spent on the couch as I could no longer lay flat on my back), I was ordered to the hospital by both Eileen and my mom. Fearing for my life, I followed their instructions. Turns out I had bronchitis. Oops. With medication in hand and restrictions imposed on my training regiment, I got busy recovering. Fortunately, things cleared up just in time to get through the vows cough-free.

Being a good future husband and making sure I had functioning lungs for the wedding
Thursday, the day before our wedding, I took Craig and Jason out to golf at the Links at Outlook - the course associated with our wedding venue. The three of us have played countless rounds of golf together over the years and it was fitting that we fit in 18 before the wedding. I appreciate every single opportunity I have to golf with either of these two. Jason and I, especially, have a unique bond that was forged on golf courses. We have played many hundreds - probably many thousand - rounds of golf together and for that reason, the pre-wedding round had special meaning to me. While being on the links was a familiar scenario for the three of us, this round was different. The wedding, naturally, was a celebration of the love that Eileen and I share; Yet, at the same time, it allowed us to acknowledge our closest friends. Our scores that day were unremarkable, but I'll remember the round forever. 

On our wedding day, Friday, June 21, I got up early (thanks mostly to the dogs...) and headed out for a run. Running the old routes around my parent's house in the quiet of the morning was perfect. While only a quick 4 miles, the run seemed to last forever. I made a point to enjoy it. Rather than training, I was simply running to run. As I went, I looked around for the first time in years. I've run thousands of miles on those roads, but have seen very little of them. My gaze is normally fixed and attention focused. But not that day. My mind wandered as I thought about all the times Eileen and I had spent together. I thought about how that evening and how I would feel when I finally saw Eileen walk down the aisle. As I passed Jason's mom's house, I thought of everything we'd been through together. And golf. And of his father who passed away earlier this year. While he wasn't there to see this day, he was happily aware of Jason's role as a groomsmen before passing and that meant a great deal to me.

Further down the road I remembered the times I'd dragged Craig along with me and laughed at how that was symbolic of our relationship. I'd try something, tell him to do it and then he'd spend years trying to be better at it than me. And often he was. Finally, as I made my way back to my parent's I thought of the sacrifices they had made on my behalf. Sacrifices that are too numerous to name, but too important to ignore.

With my run complete, this was pretty much the scene for the few hours leading up to the wedding... There was like an hour of basketball in there somewhere, but for the most part this was it...

The best man doing what he does best...
The minutes passed slowly, but eventually it was time to shower and suit up. I'd share pictures of this, but my dad failed to load a memory card in the camera while snapping photos...

Meanwhile, Eileen was handling things more professionally!

Arriving at The Red Barn!
Putting the finishing touches on her hair. Mine took 8 seconds to do...
About this time I sent Craig to deliver my pre-wedding gift to Eileen. Included was a very romantic note...

And, she clearly has not written one for me!
As I'm told, Eileen proceeded to scribble something on a napkin. However, her bridesmaids deemed it unacceptable and went in search of something more appropriate.

Michael, or long time friend and wedding photographer, even provided
 a fancy pen so Eileen could write in style
Eileen in her dress!
And with her customized "I do" wedding shoes!
Okay, down to business. I was not nervous at all leading up to the wedding. Even moments before I able to keep my cool. I managed to make it to the gazebo without so much as a single butterfly in my stomach.

Relaxed and ready to be married!
Then this happened...

Eileen comes into my field of vision for the first time
As Eileen walked out of the building and hit the top of the aisle, the moment finally hit me. In an instant I was flooded with emotions. I was stunned by her beauty and overwhelmed with happiness. And, finally, I was nervous. This was really going to happen. In 90 seconds I was going to be speaking! What was it I was suppose to say again!? 

happy...
Eileen and I had carefully crafted our ceremony, making sure that every word matched our personalities. Here are a few of the key selections:

VOWS:

I, Kyle, take you, Eileen, to be the love of my life 
I will cherish our friendship 
And love you today, tomorrow and forever 
I will trust you and honor you 
I will love you faithfully 
Through the best and the worst 
Through the difficult and the easy 
Whatever may come, I will always be there 
As I have given you my hand to hold 
So I give you my life to keep 
Through all the changes of life.
Honestly, I had to fight back a few tears during this!
EXCHANGE OF RINGS:

Eileen, today I place this ring on your finger.
It symbolizes a bond that is never-ending.
But when you need to know the depth of my love for you,
look not to the ring, but into my heart.

We rehearsed this A LOT!
And I wasn't sure either of us were going to remember it, but we made it through!

READING by WILLA and LAINEE STEWART (from A.A. Milne, author of Winnie the Pooh)

If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you. But if ever there is tomorrow when we’re not together, there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we’re apart, I’ll always be with you.

And, after all of that, we got to kiss for the first time as husband and wife!

awwww!

"May you love deeply, laugh out loud every day, realize all of your hopes and dreams together.  And may you see many sunrises and sunsets.  In the presence of family and friends, by the power vested in me by the State of Maine, it is my deepest honor to declare that you are now husband and wife."
And we made our exit as Mr. and Mrs. Burnell

all smiles!
And with that, we went off to take about 1000 pictures with Michael. As I mentioned in one of my captions above, Michael is a long time friend of ours. He and I met at Merrimack where we worked on (well, ran) the school paper together. When we began the process of planning the wedding, his name came up instantly. We knew he was an amazing photographer and really wanted to involve him in our special day. We feel so comfortable with him that we knew everything would be perfect. As you can see, he did an outstanding job and we are so thankful for his efforts. It meant more to us than we can say to have him there with us.

And with that, I'll set the commentary aside for a few minutes and let you enjoy a series of wedding party photos!

One of my favorite pictures from the day
Our wedding party! Thank you for everything Craig, Eric, Jason,
Emily, Amy, Ashley, Jackie and Michaela!
Eileen with her brother, Eric and sister, Emily
Me and Eileen with Craig, his fiancee, Chelsea, and my parents
Words can't describe how good a friend Jason has been throughout the years
My second family!
Amazing views all around the course
The time we spent together taking pictures was amazing.
It was one of the few chances we had to really talk privately
I also liked driving the golf cart!
Another one of my favorites!
The traditional Outlook / Red Barn photo with all of our guests
We attempted one serious picture, but it just looks like she's mad at me already!
And, I'm back! After an hour of photos, it was time to start the party. Though, Eileen and I did hold that up momentarily when we failed to hear them announcing our entrance! Oh well, it just made the Olympic theme song music more dramatic and suspenseful!

Married a whole hour and still smiling! Success!
With that, we headed right into our first dance. What we found was that four minutes with all eyes on you slow dancing is an ETERNITY! But we managed!

"WHAT!? There are still three minutes left?!"
The rest of the night flew by. They told us at the outset that things would move quickly, but I never anticipated the speed with which the clock would tick. As we ate, mingled and danced...

Being dragged against my will to the dance floor!
Those rental shoes they give you with the tux offer nothing in the way of traction!
... we kept reminding ourselves how fortunate we were to have all of these people in our lives. While the wedding marked for the love Eileen and I share, it was also a celebration of the people with whom we share our lives. We consider ourselves lucky to have such incredible friends and were honored to share the day with each and every one of you. 

Surrounded by friends...
On June 21, 2013 I married my best friend. I cherish every memory we've made over the past nine years and look eagerly to the future we'll share together. Simply put, I love her. The depth and breadth of that love can't be put into words, so I won't try. Eileen, I love you today, tomorrow and forever.

And with that, I'll leave you for the evening. The honeymoon report brought to you by Walt Disney World will come in the next few days. Until then, thank you all again for your support and for sharing with us on our incredible wedding day. 

1 comment:

  1. Well written my friend, and beautiful pictures! I am so happy for you both! May you be blessed! XO

    ReplyDelete