Saturday, April 6, 2013

Interview: Marty Miserandino, Fit Werx 2

The triathlon landscape is a difficult one to navigate solo. I can say with absolutely certainty that I would never have achieved much in this sport if I didn't have people willing to guide and support me along the way. In this interview series you will hear from many of the people that have gone out of their way to assist me.

Marty Miserandino, co-owner of Fit Werx and Fit Werx 2, has played a huge role in my development over the past two years. Marty and I first met when my dad and I traveled to Fit Werx 2 in Peabody for fitting sessions. It didn't take long to see how passionate and knowledgable Marty was about the sport and his customers. The same can be said for all the guys in the shop, actually. I knew immediately that I'd come to the right place. We'd passed countless bike shops along the way, but the trip was completely worth it (and the same can be said for every single trip I've ever made from South Berwick, ME to Peabody, MA). I believe deeply in what Marty and Dean stand for. Here is the complete story of that first tri:  Introducing my new P3.

A few months after our first meeting, Marty asked if I would be interested in racing for Fit Werx. I immediately answered 'yes' and now wear the FW logo with pride (blogged about here: Partnering with Fit Werx). I've learned a great deal from Marty, Dean, the rest of the shop, and my FW teammates. The support Marty has shown for me as a person and athlete is incredible. I hope you enjoy reading what he has to say in this interview. He, of course, has much more to share and is happy to do so at the shop, on Facebook, and on Twitter.



KB: Tell me a little about your background in triathlon and cycling? When did you first get involved in the sports?  

MM: My brother Vince started doing triathlons in the mid 90’s and I loved to watch him compete.  He did his first Ironman, the Great Floridian, in 1998 and I was amazed at the accomplishment, although it didn’t motivate me to participate in triathlons at the time.  It wasn’t until 2004 that I become interested.  On Thursday nights during Summer people meet at Nahant Beach and do these mini triathlons, 250 yard swim, 4.7 mile bike and 2.7 mile run… I started with just the bike and run and the following year started to swim.  I was hooked!

KB: Before opening FW2, what did you and Dean do for work?  

MM: Before opening Fit Werx 2 Dean was a mechanical engineer. Over the years I was a High Tech Recruiter, owned my on recruiting company, a Disc Jockey and even did some radio advertising sales.

KB: Can you tell me a bit about how Fit Werx 2 came to be? How did you connect with your current business partners, Ian (Fit Werx) and Dean (Fit Werx 2)? 

MM: Dean and I go way back….we actually went to High School together and played football.  We reconnected in 2005/2006 when I saw him racing in a triathlon.  Dean, my brother and I would ride together and I asked him for bike advice, etc.  I told him I wanted to get a new bike and he said get a fitting before you buy the bike.  He recommended Ian and Fit Werx as the best place to go.  Fit Werx VT is 3 hours away and I was going to make an appointment, but Ian was offering fitting sessions at an upcoming Expo at Regis College.   That Expo is now Tri-Mania.  I made an appointment, got fit and ordered my bike from Fit Werx.  A month or so later I got married and started to think about my career path and passions.  I’m not one to sit back and I was getting the itch to doing something new.  I had fallen in love with cycling and triathlon and decided to open up a retail business related to Triathlon.  I reached out to Ian Buchanan, the owner of Fit Werx VT, and asked if he’d be willing to offer advice.  He told me that I would actually be competition and I couldn’t believe it… how could I be competition from 3 hours away?  I realized at that point the outstanding reputation Fit Werx had in New England and around the country.  Ian could have said no, but instead he allowed me to ask him questions and that’s where the dialogue began.  At the same time I confided in Dean and asked if he’d be interested in being part of what I was creating.  He had a steady job, family and his 3rd child was due that December, so he had to pass, but he said he’d offer feedback as I developed the idea.  As I developed the concept Ian could see that I was very serious about starting this business.  One point I asked if he would be willing to license the Fit Werx name and that’s when said instead of that, what if we go into business together?  I told Dean and he immediately said “If Ian is in then I want in too” and the rest his history.  It’s a great ride.

KB: I imagine the decision to open FW2 was a nerve-racking one at times. What was your biggest hesitation about getting into this industry?

MM: When you start a business you have to align yourself with knowledgeable people who can offer sound advice based on fact, not emotion.  I didn’t really have any hesitations, but there were times when I had to be patient, I had to learn, and I had to re-commit myself to my decision.  It wasn’t and isn’t easy, but thankfully it has all worked out.

KB: Ultimately, what was it that convinced you to go ahead with the shop?

MM: When I believe in something it’s very hard to stop me.  I believed in the market, I believed in the opportunity and I had a passion for the sports of cycling and triathlon.  The is just made sense to me. 

KB: Fit Werx 2 has become a premier cycling and triathlon shop both regionally and nationally. From your vantage point, what is it that drives your success?

MM: Our success is directly tied to our clients experiences.  We care about them.  We race and ride with them.  We believe in their goals and we want them to succeed…I think our clients see that we care and it’s why they support us and why we are successful. 

KB: You've established an impressive list of sponsored athletes through your ambassador program for the 2013 season. What do you hope to see out of the team this year?

MM: I want each and every one of our athletes to go out and have fun, be safe and enjoy the moments they are creating.  We have a pretty talented team and many of our athletes will be on podiums, but who they are as people is more important.  We have great people and we are very thankful they are racing with us. 

KB: When you talk to people that are just starting out in cycling or triathlon, what advice do you give them?

MM: At first I just want to understand their background and goals.  Once I know that I can offer my perspective based on my personal experiences and knowledge of the industry.  I love working with newer athletes because you see them grow as people.  You see them achieve and build confidence and have fun.  I really am fortunate to do what I do. 

KB: Between the shop, training, and racing, triathlon consumes a good deal of your week. What are a few of your favorite things to do outside of the sport?

MM: As a business owner the shop is always with me, but when I’m not doing something related to the business I’m usually with my family…my wife Keri and my two little girls.  Nothing is better than being with them.  Outside of spending time with my family you might find me DJ’ing a wedding or event.  It’s something I still love to do.  Overall I’m a pretty busy guy.

KB: Is there anything else you'd like people to know about yourself or Fit Werx 2?

MM: I am very thankful for the opportunity to work with so many great clients. Thank you for our past, current and, we hope, future success. 

--
Fit Werx links:

No comments:

Post a Comment