Thursday, September 6, 2012

2013 World Championships Decision

In the weeks since USAT Sprint National Championships I've been asked repeatedly whether or not I would be accepting my spot on Team USA for London 2013 World Championships. Actually the questions started months in advance of the race. While I don't like to discuss the "what ifs" before a race has been held, many of you have been curious about my 2013 season for some time.

Having earned the right to represent our country in a world championship race is a tremendous honor and is an accomplishment in which I take great pride. For weeks, though, I have played over various scenarios that would either allow me to make the trip or divert me in other directions. Tonight a decision needed to be made. USA Triathlon set a deadline of September 6 for athletes to either reserve a spot or pass it on to an athlete on the roll down list. While initially accepting the spot by making a small down payment does not necessarily mean that an athlete will ultimately race in London, I did not want to accept a spot only to later turn it down. I saw that as unfair to athletes on the roll down list that would take the spot if I ended up passing on the race next year. Therefore, I forced myself to make a final decision tonight...

I have decided to forego the opportunity to race next year in London. For many of you this will seem like an outrageous decision. How could I pass on such a great opportunity to travel and race, you're likely wondering. Believe me, it hasn't been an easy decision to make. The conversations with Eileen began within minutes of crossing the finish line weeks ago in Vermont and is something I have thought about daily. Ultimately, a trip to London is not realistic in 2013. Part of the decision is financial, of course. Another part is professional. If I were paid to compete, I may be writing a different post. However, I am still an amateur and I do have a career to consider (both in education and with Pumpkinman). Other factors are personal. And while they'll ultimately be shared with all of you (likely through this blog), you'll have to wait for the specific details.

Finally, I plan my race calendar differently than many others. For many, races like Kona and World Championships dominate the long range plans. People plan race careers around making it to the start line at these prestigious races and others like them. And there is nothing wrong with that. I, however, choose my races differently. I pick races that are important to me, not necessarily races that garner the most attention from others. I never plan to race in Kona. Whether I ever even make the jump to the Ironman distance is questionable. And if I were successful enough to earn a Kona slot, I'd likely let it go to roll down. Similarly, racing at World Championships would be an incredible experience, but it is not a race I have planned my career around. There are plenty of things I wish to accomplish through my racing. There are places I desire to race and races I intend to win. For now, that list doesn't need to go public. It does exist, though, and there are races I think about (winning) on a daily basis. When I train, I envision these courses. I imagine the feeling of breaking the tape at the finish in front of my friends and family. I play through different circumstances that could unfold during these future races every single time I train. The list changes; It evolves as I do. But it's what motivates me. Someday it may include short course Worlds (or Kona, etc.), but today it does not.

I sincerely appreciate the support all of you have provided as I have progressed in my racing career. It means a great deal to me that so many of you reached out to offer assistance should I have decided to go to London. I am fortunate to have a support system in place that allows me to train and compete at a high level while also living a fun and balanced life.

2 comments:

  1. Kyle, Great post and we should always to do things which are best for us and our family and not what others want us to do. I bet this was a hard decision to make. You have had a great season this year and good luck at Pumpkinman this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a hard decision in many ways, but at the same time I'm really comfortable with it.

      Delete