Saturday, July 9, 2011

Race Report: The DAM Triathlon (2011)

The DAM Triathlon
Amesbury, MA

Event Information
- 1/2 mile swim
- 12.3 mile bike
- 3.2 mile run (closer to 3.4mi by my measurement)

Race Overview
Swim - 10:03 (2nd)
T1 - 1:09
Bike - 32:37, 22.77mph (8th)
T2 - :42
Run - 20:56, 6:15 to 6:33 depending on which measurement you go by (6th)
TOTAL - 1:05:25
PLACE - 1st Amateur, 4th Overall
Results Link2011 DAM Tri Results

Details
Training in the weeks since my last race has been phenomenal. Specifically, the work I've put in for the swim and the run has really shown itself in the past few weeks. It seems that I've ben getting stronger and faster with every single training session. With all the progress I've made, I was eager to race this weekend in order to see how far I'd truly come in the past month. 

Having made the decision with Stephen to race as an amateur and not as an elite, I found myself in the second wave. In 2009 and 2010 I found myself quickly jumping out to a big lead and swimming alone for the entire leg of the race. This year was a bit different. One hundred yards into the race four of us had separated from the pack. Two guys pulled away by about 10 yards by the time we were 200 yards into the swim, but they were too far inside for my liking so I picked my own line and figured we'd all come together at the first turn. They were swimming close to the smaller guide buoys, but that meant taking an indirect line from the beach to the first turn. Things turned out exactly as I'd figured they would and by the turn I'd dropped the guy swimming on my feet and rejoined the remaining two. After the turn the group turned to a pair as one swimmer dropped off the pace a bit, falling maybe 20 yards behind. I caught a side draft from the only guy remaining for awhile before eventually pulling even with about 100 yards to go. With about 25 left I figured the fastest overall swim might be on the line so I pulled a half body length ahead, hit the beach first and headed for transition. Turns out one of the pros had put in a faster time, but I ended up with the second fastest swim of the day. Good result and further proof that all my hard work in the pool is paying dividends.

An uneventful transition got me out and onto the bike course quickly. There are no major climbs on the course, but there are plenty of small hills that break any momentum you're able to build. I settled in and did my best to ride sensibly. I was really hoping for a solid run today so my intent was to put in a good time on the bike without burning up my running legs. Mission accomplished. Not much happened on the bike. I made a few passes and jumped a good portion of the Pro/Elite field, making up the three minutes they'd had from the wave stagger and then putting in some more time before hitting the second transition. As I turned back into the transition area I was feeling as though I'd set things up perfectly for a fast run and good overall finish. 

I made my way past Eileen, my personal race photographer for the day, and set off trying to hold my lead and secure an amateur win. As I exited the race venue Kat Donatello was shouting encouragement about the gap I'd built over any chasers. From what I could gather, she still hadn't seen any. Perfect! Just moments later I made my way past the dead, rotting, maggot-filled, and VERY smelly animal on the road without vomiting. Things were really looking up at this point! As I made my way to the out-and-back section of the run course I was able to spot a few more guys from the Elite wave up the road. Slowly I made up ground as I built into a solid pace. As I hit the turnaround I was feeling great. I'd started to cramp under my ribs on the right side a bit, but my legs and lungs were cooperating and pace seemed to hold. Through about 2 miles I felt that my pace had actually been quickening as I went, but as I headed into the final mile I wasn't able to take things into another gear. No big deal, I was still running well. As for how well, I really don't know. The course is advertised as 3.2 miles, but my measurement says it's about 3.4 miles. I like the 3.4 figure better - meaning I was running about 6:15/mile. Either way I ended up with the sixth fastest run on the day, which, for me, is excellent. 

After the race I spent a few minutes talking to Kat and Jeff before walking Eileen back to her car so she could get back to Maine (and the beach) while I took off on a 3 mile cool down run on Amesbury's bike path and then waited for my dad (also racing, but starting many waves behind me) and the awards ceremony. My dad finished well and was pleased with his race, so, being the good son that I am, I bought him an ice cream while we sat around waiting for my award. Turns out I got a custom printed race glass (fairly common) and a Timex Ironman Race Trainer Heart Rate Monitor/Watch. Pretty good award and even though I don't train with HR, it's nice to have the watch. I was actually really surprised. I was the second overall age group athlete last year and was expecting a similar award this year, but they really took things up a notch. 

Overall, today was a solid race. Everything I was hoping to get out of it, I did. I swam well, I biked according to plan (read: I didn't do anything stupid), and, most importantly, my run was strong. I fully expect things to build from today's result and hope to continue my progress as the bigger races on my calendar approach. 

As for now, back to training until next weekend when I head to Winchendon, MA for the Mass State Olympic race. 

No comments:

Post a Comment