Saturday, September 25, 2010

Mainiac Triathlon: My First Win

Mainiac Triathlon
Biddeford Pool, ME
September 25, 2010

.25-.33 mile swim
13.25 mile bike
3.2 mile run

RESULTS
Swim - 6:40 (2nd)
T1 – 1:07
Bike – 33:06, 24.1mph (1st)
T2 - :36
Run – 20:59, 6:33/mi (10th)
Finishing Time – 1:02:26
Place – 1st overall

In 2009 I finished second in this race after leading out of T2. It was a good result, but also one that stuck with me over the winter and provided plenty of motivation during my hard run workouts throughout the year. When I decided to conclude my 2010 season with this race, I did so with the hopes that I would move up one step on the podium. Then the two weeks leading up to the race happened. I got sick, my body decided it was done for the season and I really had to cut back on my workouts leading up to the race. As late as 3 hours before the race I was laying on the couch contemplating not racing as I really didn’t feel well. Eventually I said to myself, “what’s the worst thing that could happen? You get sick and drop out – no big deal, just go and see what happens.” So I did. My mom made the short drive with me as my fiancée and dad were both off racing in a local 5k.

By the time we arrived I was feeling significantly better, though I knew that might not last. The pre-race stuff was all standard – mostly just 2 hours of standing around. I was pleasantly surprised when I was spotted by one of the students I work with, a kindergartener, and his family for awhile. I would see them a number of times throughout the day which was nice.

Eventually I made my way to the water and did a short warmup. The ocean was a) colder than I would have liked, forcing me to use my full-sleeved wetsuit, and b) much more choppy than I would have liked. I’m a strong swimmer, but I would still prefer glassy conditions. Once we started I jumped out to an early lead. I made it all the way to the first buoy without seeing or feeling anyone. At that point someone passed me and I tucked in behind for a bit before being dropped. I was really getting tossed around out there and when it was time to look for the last turn buoy I was having a terrible time sighting. There ended up being a good reason. Just as the front guy and I got passed the second to last buoy, the final one broke away because of the seas and there was nothing for me to sight. Fortunately a kayaker had stationed himself there to mark the turn. I stopped for a second and he told me to just swim in – which I started to do – until I had doubts. At that point I stopped again, yelled to another kayaker and got confirmation that I wasn’t cutting the course. I certainly lost some time here, but I imagine others did too.

I made it out of transition in first and took off with the intent to put as much distance as possible between myself and anyone else. It worked. I averaged just over 24 mph and never saw anyone other than the people on the lead motorcycle. Nothing eventful happened and I returned safely to the transition area. Again, I got through quickly, though I did drop my bib number as I ran out and had to stop to pick it up. Lesson learned, clip it in front not the back from now on and then just turn it as needed – no more clipping blindly behind the back.

I was feeling pretty good early on the run. I knew I wasn’t going to set any records because of the way things have been going lately, but I was gaining confidence that I could hold on for the win. There are a ton of turns on this course, which worked to my advantage – or at least it would have if people were close to me. I just wanted to stay out of sight of anyone looking to catch me as it’s a lot harder to catch someone you can’t see than someone who’s offering up a nice target. By the second mile I had a spectator yell out that nobody was even close while I was finishing up the only long straight section of the course. I felt good about that for a moment, but remembered that a wave of guys had started 3 minutes behind me and that there was no way of telling how close they were in terms of official times. That was the main thought the rest of the way to the finish. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and give up as little time as possible to that second wave. After crossing the finish line I had to endure the longest three minutes ever. Eventually the time passed and I was pretty sure I’d pulled off my first win, but really there would be no way to know until the official results were posted. Eventually they were and indicated that I’d pulled it off. A bit of an anti-climactic finish to the day, but a win is a win!

The awards ceremony was standard – with the nice twist that the student I mentioned earlier was there and seemed really excited about seeing me get my award. He was a little confused that it wasn’t an actual trophy, but an embroidered hat instead. Still, he requested that I bring it Monday so he can see it again! Just as I was leaving I was hit with one extra surprise, I’d won a random bib drawing and got some free Hammer products –must have been my lucky day. Ran back and grabbed it and said by to my student and his family. He’d like the HEED to be brought in on Monday too, so I guess I better back a second bag!

Post-race / End of season thoughts
It felt good to secure my first win. I guess that sort of goes without saying, but it was just a nice way to finish off a strong season. Things went really well this season and I’m happy with the progress I’ve made. I raced really well at my key events against strong competition – specifically Fisherman (20th OA / 5th amateur), Timberman (10th), and Pumkinman (9th). I also placed well in many of my other races with a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th to go along with today’s win. The success I’ve had this year is motivating. I’m excited about my triathlon future and look forward to seeing what happens in 2011. My swim and bike continue to be pretty strong and I’ve made progress with my run. I’ll be spending a ton of time working toward faster run splits over the winter and generally feel really good about where things are headed for 2011. While I’m looking forward to all the work to come over the winter, I’m also ready for a mini break. I’m not shutting things down completely over the next two or three weeks, but I am going to take it easy and let my body (and mind) recover for awhile. After that I’ll get to work planning the winter and my 2011 race season and before long the real work will begin again!

No comments:

Post a Comment