Wednesday, September 4, 2013

REV3 Maine: Running myself into the ground

Rev3 Maine
Old Orchard Beach, ME

1.5k swim - 23:15 (6th)
T1 -  3:31
25 mile bike - 1:01:59 (24.3mph / 5th)
T2 - 1:04
6.2 mile run - 40:29 (6:32/mi / 5th)
TOTAL - 2:10:18.113
Place - 5th Overall Amateur

It's been well documented that I've faced some inner turmoil with regards to training and racing this year. While my race in Salem a week before this event had given me some much needed confidence and provided some much-needed race-related enjoyment, I still found myself struggling to stay calm throughout the weekend. There was no doubt, this was a big event for me in many ways. I've never put together a solid Olympic distance race and I was hoping to change that in OOB. I was also aware that I had the opportunity to earn my pro card by placing in the top 3 amateurs. Now, I was not going to accept the card if I earned it as I'm not on the level of a true professional, but it has been a goal of mine to at least meet the qualification for a few years. The weekend also provided an opportunity to race with some of the top athletes around - both amateur and professional.

Saturday I jumped in my new (well, used) Honda CR-V and headed up to OOB to meet up with the Off The Front team for bike check in. Check in was so much more complicated than it needed to be. I get that they are trying to provide an "experience", but I just want to get my stuff, drop off my bike and get out of there. I don't need this process to take me an hour and a half. Fortunately, Stephen, Cam and Dustin were there at the same time and we managed to make the best of the situation. Pro Rudy Kahsar even picked us up and gave us a ride back to Stephen's beach house (where EVERYONE except me was staying. I mean, Rudy, Cam, Dustin, Stephen, Katie Hursey, Jenna Parker, Jake Shoemaker, Justin Roeder, Chris Braden and a few others. There was some serious talent staying under one roof).

The next morning Eileen and I woke at the ridiculous hour of 3:45am and headed north to OOB. Unlike Saturday afternoon, the process was simple on Sunday morning. My only complaint was how tightly they packed us into transition area. The combination of the wheel based racking system and limited space (and no bag check like at Nationals) caused chaos. There was literally no room for any extras, yet nowhere else to store them.

The water was a balmy 62 degrees on race day. It was cool, but not uncomfortable. After a quick warm up, we were off...

I'm third from the camera in the sleeveless suit

A few guys got off the front in a hurry and I was not able to join them. I settled in at the lead of the second group, which consisted of myself and one other guy, and did my best to limit my losses. Stephen had warned me ahead of time not to kill myself to make the front group. There were a few pure swimmers in the field and he assured me that I'd catch them in the first few miles of the bike. 

The swim lasted forever! I got out of the water in 6th, so I'd gone fast, but I was SLOW! Most people that wore GPS units said the .93 mile course actually measured well over 1 mile. With my feet on solid ground I began the 1/3 mile run to the first transition. About halfway through I regained feeling in my feet, but I wish I hadn't. Running barefoot that far, that fast on pavement is not very much fun. I did seem to be having a better experience than most, though, as I worked my way into 3rd or 4th be the time we reached our bikes. 

Preparing to navigate the streets of OOB to find transition.
This is where things momentarily went awry. As I attempted to get my bike out of the rack, it got caught on everything possible. First, it was caught on my bag. So I lifted it higher and started to run. Three seconds later I realized my pump was now dragging on my cycling shoe which was pre-clipped into the pedal. Oh my god, this could not be going any worse! As I freed my bike from the pump, the elastic holding my shoe in place to make for easier running and mounting snapped. Okay, NOW things could not be going worse! This was an absolute mess of a transition and I gave away valuable seconds. I've neglected transition practice this year, but clearly it's something I need to work on. There's really no excuse to give away 10 or 15 seconds just standing there. I felt like such an idiot. 

FINALLY out on the bike, I got to work making my way to the front of the amateur race. I was able to do that in the first 4 or 5 miles. I rode solo for another 2 or 3 miles before Cam pulled up next to me and signaled that it was time to get things going. This was EXACTLY how we planned this race to work out. We knew that I'd get out early, settle in on the bike and then work with him (legally!) to open up gaps once we were together. Everything was going to plan and we started to separate from the field. One more strong cyclist joined the pack before the midway point and the speed kept increasing. We hit the halfway mark at about 22.5mph and split the second half in 26.25mph. Brett Hellstedt joined us with about 10 miles to go on the bike and added to our strength as a group. I knew that there were a handful of very fast runners behind us so I was okay with the increased tempo on the bike. I've made great strides as a cyclist this year and was confident in my ability to hang with these guys. The only issue I was having was that I could not get any nutrition down. I've recently switched from energy gels to energy chews, but even those I couldn't stomach this morning. So I went with a liquid only approach, knowing that things could blow up big time on the run as a result. 

As we rolled into the second transition, I was feeling great. The four of us hit the ground at the same time and we headed for our running shoes.

Off the bike with a small breakaway. Positioned perfectly...
Now, if you thought my first transition was bad, this easily surpasses it in every way. My shoes would not go on my feet. Sigh. The elastic laces have since been loosened, but that doesn't make up for the time I lost in transition. Add to that the fact that both quads cramped BADLY as I attempted to work the shoes onto my feet.

This is not the look you want to have on your face with a 10k to go...
The profanity running through my head at this point in the race is not suitable material for the internet. I was convinced that I was done for the day and, for a moment, considered calling it quits. I had no idea how I would run more than 6 miles with stabbing pains running through my quads. But I figured I'd give it a shot and see what happened.

From the start, I knew this run was going to be all about managing my losses. With my legs ready to seize up at any moment, I realized I needed to find a reasonable pace and settle in early. I was not going to be able to surge or react to anyone else's pace. Essentially, I was done "racing". I was going to set things on cruise control at the speed that would allow me to avoid major cramping and hope for the best. It was my only card to play and it wasn't a good one. 

I made my way through the first 2 miles in third place, about 15 seconds back from 2nd. But every time I attempted to lift the pace at all my legs revolted and I had to back off. Around that time I saw Kurt Perham, who, the night before, had offered to provide me with a doughnut on course. With 4 miles to go, he withheld and I carried on doughnut free for the time being.

By the turnaround I had slid back into 4th place. I continued to struggle with legs that were on the verge of collapse. Things held that way for another mile and a half - at which time I passed Kurt again. Much to my disappointment, the box of Dunkin Donuts was not waiting for me. Instead, he just yelled at me. Come to find out he did have doughnuts and even gave my coach one as he ran by... I feel cheated and fully expect he'll make this up to me at our next USAT Northeast meeting!

Around that time I was passed one more time - this time by Rob Ricard, a PHENOMENAL runner. It wasn't even worth trying to hang with him. Now in 5th place I was determined not to fall any further, though my legs still weren't cooperating. As I entered the outskirts of transition I became aware that I was being followed closely by the athlete in 6th place. With only about 200 meters to go, I was caught. And passed. But, I was determined to make one last kick and see if my legs could (miraculously) lift me  back into the top 5. The odds were slim given the shape my legs had been in for the first 6.1 miles, but I hate losing more than I hate pain.

One step behind at the top of the finishing chute with 50 meters to go
Surprisingly, I was able to pull up to my new rival's shoulder with 50 meters remaining in the race. The real test, though, was whether or not my legs would hold out until the line. AS you can see in the photo, we were in full sprint nearing the finish.

I'll let REV3's camera's tell the rest of the story...

Pulling even with 2 meters to go! This is going to be close!
At the line and still too close to call! Though, as you can see, my chip (on my left ankle)
 is slightly ahead of my competitor's

3, 2, 1.... Kyle's about to fall down. Unfortunately, the camera didn't capture that.
At the finish, I had no idea who'd crossed the line first. And, for the moment, I didn't care. Immediately after the last photo was taken  - still traveling at full speed - I collapsed. My legs completely lost their ability to function and I landed heavily on the pavement. I was in agony. My left hamstring, both quads, and my left calf were all spasming and cramping. I couldn't stand, I couldn't straighten my legs, and I could hardly speak. The volunteers and medical team came to the rescue in seconds. I was picked up and carried off to the medical tent. About 20 minutes later, having been massaged, stretched, hydrated, and cooled, I emerged from the tent and joined the post-race party. I was still incredibly stiff and sore, but finally able to carry my own body weight. 

Absolutely exhausted and struggling to walk
As I wandered around with Eileen, trying to regain some semblance of normalcy in my gait, we stopped by the results booth. Turns out all the pain was worth it as I'd won the sprint by .02 seconds! The finishing time was not at all impressive and I'd certainly hoped and planned for a better result, but I literally had nothing left to give on race day. That, to me, is a success. I had poured everything I had into that performance and even though I didn't achieve a number of goals in doing so, I was pleased to know that I'd gotten everything I could out of my body. To celebrate (and because I was starving - literally a first for me after a race), because as I said last week, you can celebrate things other than winning, we made our way to a diner a few blocks away in OOB. A few pancakes, eggs and pieces of bacon later and I was feeling new.

Post race breakdown of the day 
I was able to chat with Stephen and his other athletes after the race. His team (which I consider myself a distant part even though I'm too old officially) had a breakthrough day. It was great to see so many OTF athletes and friends winning awards and cashing paychecks! Honestly, it's been a great time racing with these guys (and girls) the last few weeks. Racing with such talented athletes and good people is a recipe for a solid weekend.

I also owe a thank you to Eileen for getting up ridiculously early (again) and making the trip with me. And, of course, for dealing with my training schedule year round. Also, to my parents who watched Nala the night before and the day of the race. It was a huge help to us and made her day much more enjoyable than being stuck in the house. Knowing she's able to run and play with my parent's dog allows me to race guilt free. I also need to thank Stephen's parents for their hospitality throughout the weekend. From parking to shuttles to and from the race venue, they went out of their way to make sure everyone had a successful weekend. And, finally, thank you to Fit Werx, Nootca, and Rudy Project! The support I get from these companies is enormous and I appreciate everything they've done for me.

Next up: Pumpkinman. Perhaps the most exhausting and rewarding weekend of the year! I'll follow up once I've recovered from what's sure to be an action-packed weekend of racing and race directing.

No comments:

Post a Comment